SAFETY / ATM CRIME VICTIMS
ATMs have enabled consumers to access their money when they need to, but inadvertently ATMs have become a target for various types of crime the most serious we consider to be the forced ATM withdrawal.
There are two kinds of forced ATM withdrawals, those that originate at the ATM and those that do not!
The ATM and Financial Services industries have put forth a significant effort to make ATMs as safe as possible for its customers. For example, most banks adhere to the 3 "L's" of ATM safety location, lighting, landscaping, have published safety tips for when using an ATM, and have installed video cameras. A small number of banks have even gone as far as installing a 911 "panic" button to put a distressed ATM customer in direct contact with the local police. Although these measures are well-intended, their effectiveness is sometimes questionable because these safety measures assume that all forced ATM withdrawals actually originate at the ATM. The startling truth is that the majority of forced ATM withdrawals originate as a home invasion, kidnapping, or carjacking and further escalates into something much worse. In a study of over 800 forced ATM withdrawals, most of which took place over the past two years, we have found that 90% of these crimes did not originate at the ATM.
- Please click on the link below to read about Kimberly Boyd written by her husband, Kimberly was carjacked, robbed via forced ATM withdrawal, Continued to be kidnapped and died as a result of an auto accident during the ordeal.
- Please click on the link below to read about Bridget Kelly in the article written by her father, "She is not Silent". Bridget was kidnapped from her home, robbed via forced ATM withdrawal, raped, shot three times, and left for dead, but miraculously survived!
- Please click on the link below to read about the "Wichita Massacre" where now convicted criminals Reginald Carr and his brother Jonathan robbed via forced ATM withdrawal, raped, tortured and killed Jason Befort, Bradley Heyka, Aaron Sander and others during this heinous crime spree.
- Please click on the link below to read about how criminal Andre Edward had kidnapped, robbed via forced ATM withdrawal, raped and killed 23-year-old Ginger Lynn Hayes.
- Please click on the link below to read the article, "Is Your Bank Doing Everything it Can to Protect You at The ATM?", in which a Phoenix News Team talks about multiple forced ATM withdrawals which did not originate at the ATM.
As you can see, forced ATM withdrawals that do not originate at the ATM are more common than you think. The ATM safety tips provided by banks were not enough to ensure these victims' safety during these horrendous situations.